- News & Events
News & Events
Friendship is Important During Cold Winter Months
As I write, snow covers the ground. Today is sunny and bright, but yesterday was dull and dreary. The winter months, January to April, can sometimes seem long and dark. But, there are things we can do to stay positive and upbeat – like spending time with friends.
A friend once told me that he did two things every day. He walked and had a conversation with at least one other person. Activity can change our mood. “The link between exercise and mood is pretty strong,” Michael Otto PhD, a professor of psychology at Boston University, says. “Usually within five minutes after moderate exercise you get a mood-enhancement effect.” (The Exercise Effect, online article, American Psychological Association).
The active adults at Westminster Village have an advantage over my friend because there are so many chances to be active and social. Residents have access to the spa, the Wellness Center and a calendar of events. They can plan exercise or activity regularly to keep those blues at bay.
But my friend also said he tried to have a conversation with at least one other person every day. He walked with a friend and talked with him as they went. He met with others throughout the day at the public library. He had complete conversations with them. He believed that this kept his mind focused and alert and always moving. But, more important than that for us during the winter months, it gives joy and positive moments that we all need.
I can remember playing cards late into the night when we had days off from high school. We never thought about how the snow might have hindered us. We never worried about whether it was dreary or not, we just had fun. And even as mature adults, we can find that same joy in seeing our friends. It’s even better now because as retired adults, we have more options to see those friends.
Find things that you can do with those friends
Just a few things to do:
- Play cards or a board game
- Euchre, bridge or poker could be options that allow you to talk and visit as well as have a fun evening competing at something. Board games for adults are also challenging or fun.
- Construct a puzzle
- You can easily visit with friend and family over a 1000-piece puzzle.
- Movie night with popcorn and drinks
- Do you love the old movies? . . .funny ones, scary ones, dramatic ones and the romantic ones. Mysteries are sure to capture your interest.
- Skype with friends that are far away.
- Skype is an online tool that allows you to call and see your friends that live in other states. It’s easy to set up and use on any computer, tablet or phone.
- Have dinner out with friends
Keep it simple
Stress and worry can also add to the winter blues. Keep these meetings with friends simple. Don’t wear yourself out in the planning. Don’t think about great big gatherings. Don’t go to extremes. Groups meet at one of the Westminster Village activities and simply see what might be. If you let things just happen, you might be surprised at how much fun you can have.
Friendships are important for many reasons, but why not make this winter sunny and bright no matter what the weather outside looks like?
–Elaine of the Westminster Village Blog Team